Let’s face it, spending a beautiful spring weekend cleaning house is nobody’s idea of a good time. But somebody’s gotta do it. So if that somebody is you, we’ve got some timesaving tips to make your spring cleaning efforts go a little faster – leaving more time to enjoy what you’ve been waiting all winter for.
- Give oven racks an overnight soak in the tub. Lay a towel down in the tub to protect your enamel from scratches, lay the oven racks on top, fill the tub with hot water and add in a bit of laundry detergent, and call it a night. Rinse and dry in the morning and you’re good to go.
- Put burners and grates in a zip lock bag with ½ cup of ammonia and let that sit overnight. The next morning you’ll see that all that stuck on food and grease is a thing of the past. Rinse clean, dry, and replace them on your stove.
- Skip the ladder and rolls of paper towels when cleaning your windows. You can now buy an outdoor window washing attachment that connects right to your hose. It creates a sheeting action that makes water and dirt just roll right down, eliminating a lot of your own elbow grease.
- Run detachable shower heads and drain plugs through the dishwasher on the top rack to remove mineral deposits, mildew, and other gunk.
- Did you know that you should periodically clean the inside of your coffee maker, not just the pot? Simply fill the water reservoir with white vinegar and hit brew. Once it’s done, empty the pot and do the same with fresh water to rinse before brewing your next pot of coffee.
- Lampshades are lint and dust magnets and, unfortunately, are not the easiest to clean. Stop rubbing the dirt into the shade with your usual dusting cloth and instead use a lint roller to lift the dirt away.
- Clean and freshen up your garbage disposal by pouring a couple cups of ice into it and adding a lemon sliced in half. Let it run for a minute using cold water at the same time. The acid in the lemon will cut through grease and leave your disposal smelling fresh while the ice sharpens the blades.
Spring also happens to be a favorite time of year for kitchen and bath upgrades, not to mention complete renovations. If any such project is on your agenda, you can depend on Connor Plumbing not just for expert installation, but sound advice to help you blend form, function, and beauty into a complete and aesthetically pleasing whole. Call us today – we’ll be happy to lend a help hand.