5 Things You Should Never Put Down Your Kitchen Drain
The kitchen drain is capable of handling a lot, everything from soapy dishwater to spoiled milk and dinner scraps. Its appetite can be so voracious it can occasionally fool you into thinking it’s tough enough to handle whatever comes its way. Trust us, it’s not.
1. Toxic Substances – Paint, paint thinners, solvent-based cleaners, and even nail polish remover should never be poured down the drain. Instead, check with your town government on how best to dispose of these substances. Many hold “community clean up” days throughout the year where they will accept such substances for proper disposal.
2. Medications – When your medication expires, don’t throw it down the drain or flush it down the toilet. Instead, mix it with used coffee grounds or kitty litter and throw it in the trash or check with your local pharmacy to see if they offer “take-back” days.
3. Cooking Oil and Grease – Whether it’s butter, vegetable oil, or bacon fat, pouring oil and greasy substances down the drain can clog your pipes and result in costly repairs. To dispose of cooking fats, pour them into an empty glass jar or metal can, let it harden, and dispose of it in the trash.
4. Kitchen Waste – Even if you have a garbage disposal, there are certain things you should avoid putting down the drain. Fibrous fruit or vegetables and starchy foods like pasta and potato skins can gum up the inside of the drain, often too far down to easily break up the logjam. Instead, dump your kitchen scraps into the compost bin.
5. Automotive Products – The biggest no-no of the bunch is used motor oil. According to the EPA, one quart of motor oil can contaminate 2 million gallons of drinking water. Take all automotive products, such as motor oil, antifreeze, and brake fluid to a recycling center or service station for proper disposal.
Even if you’re careful with you pour or place in your drain, clogs can still happen. If that time is now, you can depend on Connor Plumbing to make short work of it and get your drain or garbage disposal flowing free and clear once again. Contact us now or any time for the service you need, when you need it.